This is my final entry on this blog and this will be an overall summary of what I have learnt from the module and where I hope to be in the next few months.
Going back to the beggining of the module I remember having a lesson when people shouted out ideas for what we would like to learn or do by the end of this module. I remember some being have the industry come in and criticise our work and other people asking for mock interiews.
I remember thinking If we get all of these things then the module would have being a success because we would have had the oppurtunity to see what the games industry is looking for.
Showreels
The first thing I remember being asked to do for this module was an mock showreel so we knew how to lay them out properly. I remember thinking to myself this shouldnt be too hard, put some models in maya and have them turning on a turn table. How wrong I was, after looking at other people showreels in the industry I knew I had to learn some stuff in udk to have my scene come out really crisp. We were taught how to use dumpmovie which allowed us to render out our scenes in UDK without losing any resoultion. Until a few week ago Turntables were worrying me a little until i started playing with mamroset. There turntables for props are simple and look very good when rendered out properly. Although I dont have a finihsed showreel at the moment I now feel confident about having a proffesional looking showreel for the industry in the next few weeks.
Presentation Sheets
I knew that the way i presented my work was also going to be a big facter in getting a job in the games industry. I knew that i would have to present my sheets in such a nice way for people to appreciate the work that they were looking for. Weirdly enough I was disscusing this with my tutor the other day and he said yor prop sheets are fine but you need them to stand out more. He told me to put some sort off of low oppacity colour or image behind the parts of work I wanted to stand out. This comment has helped me out a lot because over the last few days I have being playing with the props sheets and I am getting better results with the advice my tutor gave me.
Work Recognition
We wernt asked to do this but I have always asked my self what makes my work stand out from everybody elses and what will make the games industry want to hire me. I think that my work shows a variation of different scenes from the grundge environement to the western. Although the saloon also has the western theme its indoor so it gave me a chance to show of my lighting skills from an indoor perspective.
When told to look at other peoples portfoilios I took this oppurtunity to compare my portfoilio to theres. I was shocked in a few ways because the portfoilios that I thought were well presented and had some really nice work, these were the people looking for jobs, the one that shocked me was someone who worked on red dead redemption and the portfolio wasnt great. After this task I felt like I had the essentials to look for a job. I aim to get some unique props that I can put into my portfolio, maybe also a highpoly model so it shows I can do it.
Industry Visits
These were the lessons I was looking foward to the most, because it gave me a chance to show people from the industry my work and get there opinions on how to make it better and what to think about next time.
We had a visit from double negative which talked about the visual effects side of things which honestly I didnt think would intrest me but as an overall lesson it was pretty good. I learnt how certain people get in to the industry.
We also had a vist from the crytek industry. I have discussed all of this in previous blog entrys so I wont go into too much detail but basically we got to show our work, and then we were told what to change or how to make it better in the future.
If I have learnt anything from this year it is when we had our mock interviews with Dave and Andy. We were told that when you put these two together they rip your work to shreads and tell you how to make it better. personally it wasn't too bad. I got my postives and also my negatives but if Im honest thats what I wanted. I wanted to be told what was wromg with my work and how to make it better and by them doing this it makes me a better 3D artist. I was talking to my tutor the other day and showed him my western which i was told to make brighter. After doing this it looked a lot better and my tutor agreed. So it shows you all of the negatives about your work can be changed to positives.
Getting Ready For End Of Year Show
At the end of the day the whole of this module comes down to the end of year show and how well its presented. There is certain things we must have ready for the end of year show to get the grades we want and we have to have done them well.
I have already mentioned showreels and also presentation sheets which also includes beauty shots but there are other things. This blog is one of them and is worth the 30% of my mark. I have done my blog every week and reflected on the weeks work in this module. Doing this has made me a better artist because I have managed my time a lot better than I had being doing in previous years. It has also give me the oppurtunity to research certain aspects of the games industry and getting a good insight to how the games industry works
Another thing is my CV this is currently being done as I go along but I think im going to scrap the one I have and start again from scracth in a few week when most of my modules are finished.
Business cards are another thing needed for the end of year show and I am currently still looking for the right design for this. I already know where to get them printed and how much they will cost but I want to take my time in designing my business card because I want people to understand what I do and get a sense of who I am through my business cards.
The final one being my website. I update my website every week with new prop sheets updated beauty shots and everything else. The website to me looks fine but I wouldnt mine it been a little more filled up by the end of year show. think the work I currently have on the site shows my skills off perfectly and when you look at the webiste you gain an idea of what kind of an artist I am.
Below is my website (If the weebly link dont work use the second link, I may have bought my own domain before you look at this.)
www.keenan3d.weebly.com
www.keenan3d.com.
What I have learnt & Summary
This module has taught me a lot more than I intially thought it would. What this module has done for me is it has given me an insight to what the games industry is looking for. By it doing this I will feel more confident looking for a job and lot more confident going to an interview, I wont feel as if I am being thrown into the deep and end.
The module has also taught me what skills I need to get into the games industry. From industry people coming in and talking about our work has made me understand what the games industry is really looking for. I know that when somebody is critising your work there doing it to benifet you not themselves. I have also learnt that with a lot of hard work and focus you can do what you want to do.
I think without this module I would have felt confident going and looking for a job but I would have learnt some difficult truths along the way. But now that I understand these truths and I know how to make them better I am ready to find a job in the 3D industry and put my skills to the test.

No comments:
Post a Comment