Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Asset and Environment presentations

When looking into how to present my work on my website I had a load of different ideas, some being realistic and others not so, but what I did notice when looking at other peoples online portfolios was everything was simple yet it worked. When i create my website I want both props and my environments to be shown on screenshots as well as my showreel.

Of course in my showreel you will be able to see more detail in the environments because most of my time has been dedicated to my environments, where as the props don't really get long enough., because of this I was having the problem how to present everything in a even manner.

To solve this problem I started looking at other environment artists online portfolio's to see hoe they had overcome the problems I was having. I noticed straight away how they had solved the problem and by doing this give me time to put different ideas in to my portfolio. What the artists did on there website was the main page, which is the page you see when the link is clicked presented the showreel, which I thought was really good. There was also the option for you to click the links at the top of the webpage which then linked you to screenshots of work that may have or may not have been shown in the showreel, either way you got to see the props and environments on there own in more detail.

http://www.jaredskold.com/ did this really well in his showreel because his showreel I think was very outdated, I think that his showreel is what got him jobs in the industry and since then he had worked on different games whcih he showed within the environment/prop link. I really liked this idea of putting every piece of work you think is good enough to go on your website within the gallery side of things because it allows people to look at the models and Maps in more detail than it does within the showreel video.

This then left me with the question how do i present my screenshots on my website gallery. When doing some research I noticed everyone had the basics down E.G. there name and contact deatils, but what they never had was what software they used. This for me was shocking because I like to know where the models are rendered.

They also presented screenshots of there assets differently to there environments, which made sense because for the assets you also have to present the maps. After a lot of research into how to present my work I took all the information and made my own asset and environment sheet.

These are not final but I haven't seen any like this before and I think they can work well within the gallery on the website.





I have used the same template to present my work but obviously for the assets I have used different angles so other people get to see the model in more detail. The prop models will be textured when there finished and they will probabily been on some sort of structure so you can see the shadows. As for the environments well the gallery side of theings will basically contain beauty shots, the rest either been on fly through video or within my showreel.

None of these templates are for certaina and are just drafts, I would like comments on what good and what you think i should change to give the shots better quality.


No comments:

Post a Comment