Monday, 8 November 2010

Showreel Justification

For this week we were given the tasks to get into groups based on the subject of intrest e.g. Environment artist, prop artist. We were then told to discuss between us what we thought made a good showreel and a bad showreel, the actual task was to present the ideas in front of our tutor and our class, while presented we talked aboyt the positives and the negatives of the showreels we had presented.

For example all us were agreed on what makes a bad showreel etc too long, no contact details, non textured models and the main one having the wrong music with the work. We all then agreed what we thought was a good showreel when it comes to environment artists. We noticed that in good showreels the music is either non vocal or they dont have any at all, also they either have there contact details at the beggining and end or all the way through out the showreel which we all agreed was really good. The main good thing we can say that what we saw in the showreels we looked at was how they presented the environment, we liked it when the showreel panned through the environment and didnt do it for too long.

I wont put up any links of the good and b ad showreels because you can see them in my previous week blog, which we actually used in the presenttaion too, so would be pointless.

For this weeks blog task we were told to look a previous work that we think we could put in our future showreels and identify the goods and bads of the work. For myself I dont think i have any work from the 1st year that I could put into the showreel, and the only thing i think is even anywhere close to going in my showreel would be the Remake of the Call Of Duty map i did last year for Andreas, although that needs a hell of a lot of work done to it.

After seeing what makes a good showreel I think that my call of duty map would be something i could throw into my showreel when I have done all the ammendments that are needed. I wont be putting anyother work in from the past 2 years beside that piece of work into my showreel, im relying more on this year because its all environments and sum props.


As you can see from the image above you can tell its a Call Of Duty map but there is no shadows or any atmosphere in the environment, so for me to make this good enough to put into my showreel I will have to add the right kinda of lighting and shadows and maybe some fog for the distance too because everything looks to plain at the minute. 

I do think that the scene would look good when been panned through so Im defintly going to redo some of the work on this environment so it can go in my showreel

No comments:

Post a Comment